To view the newest CPD sessions added to the website, click "New CPD Sessions"
NEW CPD SESSIONS
To view a list of ALL CPD sessions and browse through them, click "Browse All"
CPD Hours / Duration
Depends on Membership level
Walking a Mile in Their Shoes: managing patients’ expectations
Presenter Denise Donati
Denise Donati, RN, RM, B App. Sc. Nurs., M. Nurs, CertIV Small Business Management
Denise Donati is a Registered Nurse/Midwife and has worked in assisted reproduction for more than 20 years. In 2006 Denise was invited to Vietnam to assist establish a local Fertility Nurse Training Program. Denise has also presented extensively in the UK and South East Asia on topics relating to assisted reproduction.
In 2007 Denise set up her own IVF Clinics with two doctors, Fertility Solutions Sunshine Coast and Fertility Solutions Bundaberg in Queensland. In 2017 she started offering bulk bill IVF and FET treatments at her clinics to offer people more achievable treatment models.
In 2014 Denise was invited to author a chapter in the book Organization and Management of IVF Units: A Practical Guide for Clinicians. She wrote on Patient Management: A Nursing Perspective which was released in 2016.
In 2019 Denise established another business called Sneak Peek Ultrasounds, offering elective 2D, 3D and 4D scans so that mums and dads in waiting and their family and friends can meet and bond with the baby before it’s born. She is expanding this business model into a diagnostic specialised Gynaecology and Pregnancy Ultrasound service called Precision Imaging for Women which will open in 2020.
Denise works as an advanced practitioner in Assisted Reproductive Technologies with her roles include performing intra uterine inseminations, ultrasound scanning and embryo transfers.
The couple experiencing fertility challenges can experience varied emotions and, by the time they have sought medical assistance, their expectations can vary greatly. Fertility nurses must come to understand how to read a couples unspoken worries as well as identify the coping strategies used by each couple so at to provide the best holistic care possible.
The presentation will provide overview on patient experiences when undergoing infertility treatment including:
- Common emotions experienced
- Events that can trigger these emotions
- The silent messages that those caring for patients often send without even knowing
- The differences between males and females in coping strategies used
- Stress and its effect on our patients
In this session, you will…
- Gain an understanding of the common emotions that patients can experience when having fertility treatment.
- Recognise the events that can trigger these emotions and be aware of these in your daily practice
- Explore/Examine the differences between males and females in terms of coping strategies used during times of stress.
- Review and reflect on your current practices to identify possible areas for improvement when dealing with patients.